Banoffee Pie






This one was a team effort - my mum did the base, I did the banoffee filling and my brother did the cream and chocolate on top - which he felt was obviously the most important part of the dish! As I may have mentioned before, I absolutely love banoffee pie, and I think the best version I have had is the one my friends Joanna and Kelly made last pie day! For this one, the recipe is pretty simple, but I think more filling was needed so I'll include a better amount below

Recipe

Approx 300g digestive biscuits (depends on size of tin)
75g unsalted butter
2 x 397g cans of condensed milk
2-3 bananas
250 ml of whipping cream
Some chocolate to grate (however much you have in the fridge)

For the base, first crush the digestives in a plastic bag with a rolling pin until the are pretty much crumbs. Thenmelt the butter in a heatproof bowl in the microwave until liquid, and add the digestives to the butter. Mix well, the cover the bottom of the tin (you can also go up the sizes, depends how you prefer your pie). Place in the fridge to set. (I know in the photos the base is a bit crumbly, but I didn't do that part! Just make sure it is firmly pressed down into the tin)
For the banoffee filling, pour the 2 cans of condensed milk into a large heatproof container with a lid. This needs to be much larger than the volume of condensed milk going into it, as the condensed milk spits when it is warmed up and can go everywhere! Place the condensed milk in the microwave for 15-20 minutes, stirring every minute or so. It should turn a more golden colour and thicken up. Dulce de leche can also be used, but I don't use it as you can't get it in Dubai! Chop the bananas up, and place them in a layer over the biscuit base which you have gotten out of the fridge. I usually go for concentric circles, but to be honest you cant see it when the creams on so it doesn't really matter as long as theres an even covering. Next pour the condensed milk over the bananas, then place back in the fridge for about half an hour.
Finally, add the whipped cream and grated chocolate on top and there it is! Enjoy!

Comments

Top 5 of Ella Bakery