Caramel Layer Cake








This is the first recipe I've made from the Great British Bake Off cookbook. It is a caramel layer cake, so it is a vanilla sponge, with a caramel topping. The top is melted dark chocolate done in concentric circles on top, then I put a toothpick through them to create a spiderweb effect. Important to remember to do them either all towards the centre or all towards the edge. It was a spoon to drizzle the chocolate, which is responsible for the inconsistent thickness, as I didn't have a dispoable piping bag, which I think would have worked much better. Also, when the recipe says let the icing cool, this bit is really important! The cake looked like a bit of a disaster when I first iced it in the evening, so when I came home from school the next day I reapplied the icing to get a much smoother finish, and the palette knife works well for the smooth finish. The sponge was a good consistency, and it went down well with my friends at school today!

Comments

Top 5 of Ella Bakery