Rhubarb Crumble Cake

The starting point for this cake was that I received rhubarb this week in my OddBox (a fruit and veg subscription box that aims to save fruit and veg that would be wasted otherwise). Rhubarb isn't something that would tend to have very often, and it immediately made me think of Rhubarb and Apple crumble, which my Nan would make for dessert after something like a Sunday Roast.


After a bit of a search, I found this recipe on BBC Good Food and decided that was the one to make. It is essentially a Victoria sponge cake recipe, with the rhubarb folded into the mixture. It was an easy to follow recipe, and my tip would be use a larger bowl then you think you will need, as it had to switch mine out! Overall, straightforward to make and assemble and I enjoyed the recipe making.


This is cooked in one large, high cake, hence the long bake time. I used my silicone cake tin, as it has much higher sides than the metal ones, although due to the way the crumble on top cracked it did push out the sides slightly! It cooked pretty true to time, then I let it cool in the silicone cake tin for about 20 minutes before turning it out onto the plate. 


I had to, of course, cut into at this point and eat a lovely warm slice! This is a moist, but not overly sweet cake, and I was pleased with how it turned out. I will certainly be making this again next time I get some rhubarb!


Comments

Top 5 of Ella Bakery